Re: Wrong characters in man pages

On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 06:44:52PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 09:02:34PM +0200, DSC Siltec wrote:
> > I have the opposite problem ,  but I can help  you with yours
> > even as I ask about mine.
> >
> > You are using the ISO-8859-2 character set, or else the Eastern-European
> > character set.  That includes such things as Polish (Z-caret, S-caret,
> > C-caret, also an L-crossbar that sounds like "w".)
> >
> > Use the TT-font server to select a different font.   Or select a
> > different font in your applications.   In netscape, for example, edit
> > preferences, and then your first option->second choice is "fonts".
>
> This wasn't my problem, it was that of Matijs van Zuijlen. I hope you
> don't mind me cc'ing your message back to the list so that he can see
> it.
>
> I'm really curious as to how he ended up with ISO-8859-2 output, though,
> as the version of groff in Debian doesn't support it and Matijs said he
> was using an ISO-10646-1 font.

No, it really isn't ISO-8859-2 output. The problem seems to be that man
produces ISO-8859-1 output in an ISO-8859-15 locale. gnome-terminal,
based on the locale, thinks the output _is_ in fact ISO-8859-15. This
set does include the Zhe.

And by the way: gnome-terminal seems to ignore the charset part of the
font selection. It doesn't matter at all which on I choose.

I just discovered something: xterm displays the man pages just fine. I
guess it ignores the locale settings. Two programs that ignore the
locale working fine together. It makes me smile.

> > My own problem:
> >
> >    I really want the ISO8859-13 set, which contains the Baltic font:
> > Z-caret (Zhe), C-caret (che), S-caret (esh), but also a-cedilla,
> > e-cedilla, e-dot, i-cedilla, u-bar (long u), u-cedilla.
> >
> >   But Linux doesn't support that, for some reason, even when the fonts
> > include it.  [I imported my Windoze fonts, which also have this same
> > Baltic representation, but cannot display them with Linux].
> >
> >   Does anyone know if there is an *unstable* version of a TT font server
> > that will provide ISO8859-13?
> >
> >   Or why doesn't Linux support the Baltic fonts?
>
> I can't help you here - maybe somebody else on the list can.

Well, I have iso8859-13 fonts here. Fonts like helvetica support it. I
can display that set in gcharmap, for example. Maybe your (DSC
Siltec's) locale settings are wrong. What are they?

--
Note that I use Debian version 3.0
Linux mus 2.4.17mvz4 #1 Fri Mar 15 23:30:15 CET 2002 i686 unknown

Matijs van Zuijlen