Re: Linux on Walmart's systemless computers

On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 07:20:31PM -0400, - wrote:
| It looks like no one has any first hand experience with any of the
| 17 computers.

It looks like it.

| Can someone offer any opinions about the makeup and suitability of
| these computers for Linux operation based on the information
| provided on the web page?

Looks ok, but the hard drive will be your real bottleneck.  A 5400 rpm
IDE drive is not going to be fast at all, so if you get the system
either get a low-end CPU or put a better drive in it yourself.

| Linux is mentioned but it seems that the modem is a Winmodem.

I don't know about the modem.

FYI if you want to compare :
I just bought a machine from Computer Renniasance.  MSI mobo (KT266
chipset) w/ onboard sound, AthlonXP 1800, 256 MB PC2100 DDR RAM, 40GB
7200 rpm IDE disk, mid-ATX tower.  I paid $575 US (not including tax).
It is going to be a server so I didn't get any video, cd or floppy.
There's enough old video cards and nics around (this is for work, BTW)
that I can use any one of them, and I can grab a floppy from some old
machine to use during the install of debian.  It has an AMI BIOS too.
I haven't tried it yet (picked it up tonight), but it looks like it
will be decent.  My desktop machine has an AMI BIOS and I really like
it.

-D

--

You have heard the saying that if you put a thousand monkeys in a room with a
thousand typewriters and waited long enough, eventually you would have a room