pwcheck problem

Hello,

I'm using cyrus-pop3d 1.5.19-9 and sasl-bin 1.5.27-3 on woody. By
default, users with Cyrus mailboxes were authenticated against their
UNIX passwords.

This setup ceased to work today for some reason (I suspect that was
after running /usr/share/sendmail/update_auth, but I'm not sure). The
problem is logged in syslog as follows:

pop3d[1892]: badlogin: localhost[127.0.0.1] plaintext ibr cannot connect
to pwcheck server

Indeed, pwcheck was not running. I restarted it, and it failed with:

pwcheck: /var/run/pwcheck/pwcheck: No such file or directory

in auth.log.

I straced pwcheck and inetd (which pop3d is working from) and saw that
the former tries to open /var/run/pwcheck/pwcheck, and the latter
connects to /var/state/pwcheck/pwcheck.

As a workaround, I ln -s ../state/pwcheck /var/run, and it works. But I
don't understand what has happened. I've searched the archives and read
/usr/share/doc/libsasl7/sysadmin.html, but I can't see how pop3d knows
that it should use pwcheck and not anything else, or why pwcheck started
to look for /var/run/pwcheck instead of /var/state/pwcheck. Could anyone
please explain what has happened, and possibly point me to the proper
solution?

Please cc to me as I'm not subscribed.

Thanks in advance,
Baurjan.