Gnome very, very slow.....

I have a constantly updated woody installation on my laptop.

When as user_one I start a gnome-session (sawfish desktop) using
startx it all ticks wonderfully, whilst starting from other users
(root, user_two and user_three) the same gnome session:

1) Gnome loads slowly, too slowly (say 40-60 sec against 10 as user_one);
2) The mouse pointer moves too fast and is extremely inaccurate;
3) Starting gnome-terminal it crashes with a segmentation fault.

It all started some time ago after a woody updating...

Please help me to straigth it right!

Ciao

Vittorio