Reconfiguring network with DHCP/BOOTP

Hello all,

 After successfully rebuilding my kernel for the first
time (yay!), Everything seems to be in order. Sound
workds, X works, and I was able to compile and install
my NVIDIA drivers without a hitch. However, I can't
get on the network at all (well, this may not be true.
I don't use the local network for anything except
internet, haven't bothered with samba yet. other
computer runs WinME). I made sure to configure the
proper modules (heck, I can't remember for sure but I
might have put it straight in the kernel... probably a
module), they're the same ones I used when I did my
net-inst of debian.

BTW i upgraded from kernel 2.2.20 to 2.4.18 going by
source code, in case this adds any complications.

Anyway, I need to know how to reconfigure my network
settings with DHCP/BOOTP. If I could get back to that
nifty-keen setup tool used at installation that would
be nice (I already tried base-config, not what I'm
looking for). If there's some other way that works,
fill me in. As always, more information available upon
request (although I am still semi-newbie to linux and
might need instructions on how to get that info).

Thanks,
  Ryan