Re: Kernel-compile-howto for other computers

On Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 04:11:44PM -0400, David Z Maze wrote:
| Jaye Inabnit ke6sls <ke6sls@cox.net> writes:
| > I have a new(ish) computer I assembled a few months ago.  It can
| > compile kernels in less than 5 minutes.  I would like to learn how
| > to correctly build kernels and modules for other computers on this
| > box using the 'make-kpkg' methods the Debian way, and then how to
| > export them properly to the receiving computer for installation.  I
| > know kpkg automates much of this process, so I want to be able to
| > safely create the images and modules so they will not actually be
| > placed (by accident) in my working directories.
|
| If you run 'make-kpkg kernel-image' (with correct flags), a .deb file
| for the kernel built by the current source is created.  Nothing in
| your current running system is touched at all.  You can then use your
| favorite method (e.g. scp) to copy the .deb file over to the slower
| machine, and run, as root, something along the lines of
| 'dpkg --install kernel-image-2.4.18_2.4.18.donut.1_i386.deb'

I've done this, and it works great!  Even modules are handled right.
The only trick is to select all the right kernel options (eg included
fp emulation for that 486sx) and don't optimize for a newer subarch
than the old machine is.

| I don't know if there's a way to avoid having n simultaneous copies of
| the kernel source sitting around.

You can keep the config files separate and just replace the one in the
source tree.  You only need 1 source tree.

| On the other hand, if the newer machine is sufficiently splufty that
| it's noticably faster than the older machine(s), it probably has
| plenty of disk, so this isn't quite so much of a concern.

True.  I wish I could build in 5 minutes!  It takes around 20 on my
good box.  (I've never tried to measure how many days my old box would
take assuming it wouldn't die from lack of memory first)

-D

--

Windows, hmmm, does it come with a GUI interface that works or just
pretty blue screens?