Re: Kernel-compile-howto for other computers

Jaye Inabnit ke6sls <ke6sls@cox.net> writes:
> I have a new(ish) computer I assembled a few months ago.  It can
> compile kernels in less than 5 minutes.  I would like to learn how
> to correctly build kernels and modules for other computers on this
> box using the 'make-kpkg' methods the Debian way, and then how to
> export them properly to the receiving computer for installation.  I
> know kpkg automates much of this process, so I want to be able to
> safely create the images and modules so they will not actually be
> placed (by accident) in my working directories.

If you run 'make-kpkg kernel-image' (with correct flags), a .deb file
for the kernel built by the current source is created.  Nothing in
your current running system is touched at all.  You can then use your
favorite method (e.g. scp) to copy the .deb file over to the slower
machine, and run, as root, something along the lines of
'dpkg --install kernel-image-2.4.18_2.4.18.donut.1_i386.deb'

I don't know if there's a way to avoid having n simultaneous copies of
the kernel source sitting around.  On the other hand, if the newer
machine is sufficiently splufty that it's noticably faster than the
older machine(s), it probably has plenty of disk, so this isn't quite
so much of a concern.

> It seems like it has to be possible, and I know it would save a lot
> of time for my friends, if they could simply ssh to my box and
> build, then export the binaries. Links to personal notes or howto's
> would be wonderful, and greatly appreciated.

You'd have to give your friends access to something like fakeroot to
actually build packages.  I don't know if this is actually a security
risk, or how much you trust them; it's something to think about.  But
people dropping kernel source in their home directories, running
make-kpkg, and then scp'ing the results off the machine shouldn't risk
causing any damage to your machine.

	-- Abra Mitchell