Re: extern modem

On Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 09:43:35PM +0200, Vincent Poirriez wrote:
> I am new in the debian world, I have a problem in configuring my modem
> connection, either using pppconfig or kppp to configure it I obtain:
> Sorry, the modem is busy.  While it's not true of course.

At least linux seems to think it's busy.

What does:
    # lsof /dev/ttyS0
say?

If it is open by a process, this should find it. Perhaps you have
configured a serial mouse? or something...

(I presume that you have support for serial devices in your kernel; a
"cat /dev/ttyS0" would result in something like "No such device" on
stderr or system log if serial support is missing.)

> My machine is a Thinkpad T23, (the provided modem is a winmodem Lucent
> and will not work currently with linux,

It should work - at least somewhat. I have a lucent winmodem in my
laptop, and it works OK with the lucent-provided (binary-only,
proprietory, non-free and with doubtful legal status) kernel modules.
Mind you, it does collide badly with infrared; attempt to use infrared
without a reboot in between causes an instant reboot (Inspiron 4000).

Perhaps a visit to the Linmodem HOWTO will be good:
    www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Linmodem-HOWTO.html

YMMV

HTH

--