Re: splitting an audio file

> Hi all!
> I can't use any X-related programs; in other words gnome and kde I think falls
> into this category too, because I'm blind and this access isn't developed yet.
> Whoever told me to use 'split" to split up the files, it might work for you, but
> it didn't work for me. the first file appeared to be ok--the beginning file. But
> with the other two I got messages about the files maybe being corrupted, so
> obviously dividing them that wasy messed up some important information.

If you want a plain audio CD, you're going to need to convert it to regular
PCM (M$'s .wav) format first.  Then, any CD burning utility (cdrecord falls in
to this category) will be able to create an audio CD.  Both mpg123 and ogg123
support this conversion (I think in the docs it's referred to as 'raw' format).

After you've created the raw PCM, you should be able to split the file into
regular CD-sized chunks using 'split'.

The problem you ran into was that both OGG's and MP3's put the decompression
symbol table at the head of the file (which only makes sense).  So your first
file was just fine (since the symbol table was present), while the resulting
"splits" were garbage (since the symbol table wasn't there).  Using 'split' on
the raw PCM shouldn't cause a problem since there are no decompression symbols
to keep track of.

Don't give up.  Let us know if you need more help.

HTH.

Stephen W. Juranich                             sjuranic@ee.washington.edu
Electrical Engineering             http://students.washington.edu/sjuranic
University of Washington                http://ssli.ee.washington.edu/ssli

 \ /  ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN   ||  NO ATTACHMENTS
  X   AGAINST HTML MAIL       ||  NO STATIONERY
 / \  AND POSTINGS            ||  NO GRAPHICS