Re: where to install openoffice

> martin f krafft wrote:
> >
> > hi folks,
> >
> > i've always installed OpenOffice or StarOffice or whatever into
> > /usr/local/apps/{open,s}office or /usr/local/lib/{open,s}office,
> > depending on whether the day was even or odd -- as in, there was no
> > pattern. now i am installing a couple of new systems and would like to
> > do it right.
> >
> > it seems that these software packages should install into
> > /opt/{open,s}office to keep the system in accordance with the FHS.
> > however, there's something deep inside me speaking against /opt at the
> > top of the filesystem hierarchy. i know it's a standard but i don't
> > like it as i believe that these packages *should* really sit under
> > /usr/local. but /usr/local/lib and /usr/local/apps are also wrong.
> >
> > debian does not control /opt and /opt is not part of debian, which is
> > a good thing. despite openoffice not being part of debian, i would
> > still like for it to be integrated into the system in a logical way.
> > so where does it go? /usr/local/opt/{open,s}office?
> > /usr/local/{open,s}office?
> >
> > please don't let this become a lengthy discussion, only post if you
> > know the FHS inside out or you know the answer exactly. i don't want
> > opinions (sorry if this sounds arrogant).

In my opinion, it doesn't make any sense to have both. if /opt &
/usr/local serve the same purpose, they should be combined as one. Just
an opinion :-)

according to the filesystem hierarchy standard at
http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/fhs/fhs-4.5.html
here is what they are for:

The /usr/local hierarchy is for use by the system administrator when
installing software locally

/opt is reserved for the installation of add-on application software
packages.

Hmmm.... I'm not seeing much of a distinction.

Anyway, I happen to prefer StarOffice 5.2, and I snagged it from an old
Stormix CD: staroffice_5.2-1.deb

And that deb installs itself in /opt/office52

-CraigW