Re: upgrade to ext3 ?

begin  traxlend@cs.purdue.edu quotation:
> Here's a related question: when will those .journal files go away?
> I have a RH7.2 system which was installed with ext3 and a Debian
> system which I upgraded to ext3. The RH7.2 has no .journal files,
> but the Debian machine still has them, even after a few reboots.

That's why; if you create a new filesystem as ext3 from the start, the
.journal file is not visible.  Or, if you convert an unmounted
filesystem, it will also not be visible.

If you convert a mounted filesystem, it is.

If you want it to go away, back up the data, blow away the filesystem,
and recreate it as ext3.  Or, mount it as ext2, blow away the .journal
file, umount it, and convert it.

--
Shawn McMahon                    | McMahon's Laws of Linux support:
http://www.eiv.com               | 1) There's more than one way to do it