Re: VNCserver goes into session not gdm

On Sun, 14 Apr 2002 10:07:19 -0500
hanasaki <hanasaki@hanaden.com> wrote:
> :1 gives the same result :(
>
> The desired outcome is for the GDM to come up after the client enters
> the vncserver password.  The current outcome is that it drops right
> into an X session under the ID of the vnc server running.

That sounds right. From the VNC documentation page
http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/howitworks.html :

"A Unix machine can run a number of Xvnc servers for different users,
each of which represents a distinct VNC desktop. Each VNC desktop is
like a virtual X display, with a root window on which several X
applications can be displayed."

So it would seem your unix machine must have as much instances of
vncserver running as you have users (each on its own virtual display, I
presume). gdm is still not required because user selection and
authentication is done on the client side (by selecting machine:display
and password).

Actually, I don't think it's possible to use gdm with VNC's X server,
which must be already running under a user ID when the client connects.
What you want is probably an X server for Windows that can be managed by
gdm, and VNC ain't no such thing.

Anyway, you can take a look at a detailed paper on VNC on
ftp://ftp.uk.research.att.com/pub/docs/att/tr.98.1.pdf

Good luck.

--
Carlos Sousa