Re: VNCserver goes into session not gdm

On Sun, 14 Apr 2002 08:36:06 -0500
hanasaki <hanasaki@hanaden.com> wrote:
> The VNCSever was installed using apt-get
> 	- from Woody
> 	- as root "vncserver :0"

I use display :1 (virtual) for vncserver, it uses its own X server and I
don't want vncserver and xfree squabbling over territorial issues.

> My need is to make sure GDM ALWAYS comes up.  Cant have people
> dropping into a running X session by accident.

Not sure I understand you here. If you want authentication, the Windows
client already asks users for the password to connect to the vncserver.
Multiple user authentication might be a bitch though, I seem to remember
vncserver only cares about one password. RTFMing should help...

> 	vncserver -kill :0
> is leaving behind running X and GNome processes.  If I kill all the
> vnc and X / GNome processes and restart vncserver, sometimes it says
> there is already a server running on :0  (even when the lockfile in
> tmp is deleted)

Above mentioned territorial issues? Try with display :1

Then check the vncserver config file (xsetup? can't remember, can't
check now) and make sure the right session manager is invoked. That file
is equivalent to .xsession in the xfree world.

> Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > How are you launching the VNC server and client?  You need to
> > provide more information.

Yep.

--
Carlos Sousa