Re: starting nfs

Why can't I find a simple answer when I search for `starting nfs' on the
Debian site?  I'd like to get nfs started and show up in some form when I
do a ps ax |grep nfs, but I'm stymied.  Man nfs is no help either.  What
am I missing?

nfs runs in the kernel, so you won't see an "nfs" process when you "ps aux". you will see portmap, the rpc daemon, on both the client and the server, and portmap, mountd, and lockd on the server.

Using NFS is very straightforward. On the server
  1. apt-get nfs-kernel-server nfs-common portmap
  2. adjust /etc/exports (man exports for details)
  2. /etc/init.d/portmap start
  3. /etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server start
On the client
  1. apt-get nfs-common portmap
  2. /etc/init.d/portmap start
  3. mount nfs.example.com:/home /mnt OR
     adjust /etc/fstab to your liking (man fstab for details)
See the NFS HOWTO for more info.