Re: Linux on Walmart's systemless computers

On Sat, 13 Apr 2002, Shawn McMahon wrote:

> At least as much as Wal-Mart is.  And, like Wal-Mart, they have a
> quality product that a lot of people want.  In my old home town in
> Oklahoma, they were the best grocery store in town, and the ONLY 24-hour
> place to buy computer equipment.

Sounds kinda like an expensive, redneck version of Fred Meyer out in
rural areas.  (For those who aren't from the Northwest that don't
understand the reference, Fred Meyer is a chain of general stores that
sell *everything*.  In many areas, they're the only grocery store,
department store, and gas station.  But instead of crushing the local
businesses, they attract business to them, usually trying to surround
themselves by local specialty shops that may do one thing Freddy's does
but better.  Chain is based out of Portland, OR and covers OR, WA, ID,
and parts of BC and AB.  They had stores in California for a short, but
they decided that was bad for thier name and withdrew.

> But my point wasn't that Wal-Mart is good, or that Intel is bad; my
> point was that one shouldn't berate someone else for doing business with
> one evil conglomerate while one is doing business with another.

Neither company's a conglomerate.  They're not like Mitsubishi or Daewo
who make everything from decent TV's, construction equipment, bicycles
and terrible cars.

--
Baloo