Re: where to install openoffice

also sprach Arthur H. Johnson II <arthur@usol.com> [2002.04.13.1814 +0200]:
> I typically install OpenOffice to either home, or opt.  I dont think it
> matters where you install it.  Then I usually create a script in /usr/bin
> called soffice:

that's exactly what i was trying to prevent. sentences like "I dont
think it matters where you install it". heck, openoffice will run if
i install it into /var/lib/openoffice or
/etc/X11/WindowMaker/openoffice, but that's *not* in accordance with
the FHS just as much as installing system-wide software into /home is
not in accordance with the FHS.

> Why do I put it in /home?  Well, i was switching distros rather frequently
> last year before settleing on Debian and home is a seperate part that
> never gets formatted.

ever heard of /usr/local?

micros~1: for when quality, reliability, and security
          just aren't that important!