Re: Wrong sender address!

On Sat, Apr 13, 2002 at 01:31:02AM -0500, Gary Turner wrote:
| On Fri, 12 Apr 2002 21:21:36 +0200, Andreas Grabner wrote:

| >After sending some mails to the list but dont see them I looked in the
| >archive where i saw:
| ># Sender: Andreas Grabner <andi@film.debian.org>
| >which is wrong !!!
|
| Here is a partial header as rcvd here.
|
| >From: Andreas Grabner <grabner@grabner-it.at>
| OK, this shows as From: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is as you would expect from configuring mutt properly.

| >Subject: Wrong sender address!
| >Sender: Andreas Grabner <andi@film.rcsntx.swbell.net>
| Hmm. part of this is my addy        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That is because the From: header doesn't match the user passing the
message to exim.  Is your (Andreas') machine is named "film" and your
username is "andi"?  exim added the Sender: header indicating that
"andi@film" is who really gave it the message, just in case you were
forging the From: header and the original needed to be traced.
I see that header as 'Sender: Andreas Grabner <andi@film>'

However, 'film' is not a FQDN so some MTAs are filling in the rest,
but of course they can only fill in their own domain.  (hence the
"rcsntx.swbell.net" Gary saw and the "debian.org" Andreas saw)

IOW, this is normal operation.  I do believe there is a way to turn
off that annotation, but I don't recall how right now.  Actually, I
just tested it by specifying a different From: header while sending to
a different mailbox I have, and exim added the Sender: header.  It's
only a problem if you wish to really hide your local user and host
and "real" names.

HTH,
-D

--