Re: User's perspective on upgrading to kernel 2.4?

* Paul 'Baloo' Johnson (baloo@ursine.dyndns.org) [020412 22:57]:
> > This is probably the biggest issue; I've gotten several conflicting
> > recommendations about devfs/devfsd. What are the advantages of going
> > to the new devfs/devfsd?
>
> You get to delete /dev/* and reclaim disk space and inodes, and the
> contents of /dev/ depend entirely on what your kernel supports and the
> hardware that actually exists.

I know others have mentioned that devfs support is still experimental,
but there's been plenty of options in the kernel that were marked
"experimental" and were perfectly usable. Is devfs 50% stable, 80%, 99%,
what ??

I might be interested in trying it out. I just found this site,
http://www.atnf.csiro.au/people/rgooch/linux/docs/devfs.html. Is it the
official devfs "home" ??

Regards
Hall