Re: User's perspective on upgrading to kernel 2.4?

On Fri, 12 Apr 2002, Richard Cobbe wrote:

> When you say SMP support is better: are you referring to the fact that
> 2.4 scales to a higher number of processors, or will I actually
> experience a performance boost on my dual Athlon?

Both.

> Does APM work for SMP systems on 2.4?  You can enable it under 2.2; it
> just doesn't do anything.

No.

> I think I'll keep my filesystems at ext2 for now, since I may need to
> reboot under 2.2 in a pinch.  When I'm reasonably satisfied that 2.4 is
> OK, I'll probably move up to ext3.

That's the beauty of ext3:  ext2 is just ext3 without a speed tweek and
journaling.

> This is probably the biggest issue; I've gotten several conflicting
> recommendations about devfs/devfsd.  What are the advantages of going to
> the new devfs/devfsd?

You get to delete /dev/* and reclaim disk space and inodes, and the
contents of /dev/ depend entirely on what your kernel supports and the
hardware that actually exists.

> I haven't really paid much attention to the buzz
> about this issue, although I gather it generated some controversy early
> in the 2.4 series.  FWIW, the hardware on this machine doesn't change
> all that often; USB currently isn't an issue, as I don't have any USB
> devices.

It's still nice to have a realistic view of what exists.

> So: stick with the old dev, or use the devfs with devfsd running in
> compatibility mode?

Your call.

--
Baloo