Re: color text in terminals...

Karsten M. Self declaimed:
> on Mon, Apr 08, 2002, Crispin Wellington (crispin@aeonline.net) wrote:
> > On Mon, 2002-04-08 at 14:15, Ross Tsolakidis wrote:
> > > Hi there,
> > >
> > > Simple question...
> > >
> > > In Redhat by default, in a terminal when you do a dir listing, the files are
> > > color coded..  dirs, executables, text...  etc...
> > > How can I do this on Debian ?
> > >
> > > Running Debian Sparc Woody.
> >
> > ls --color
> >
> > For permanence. Add
> >
> > alias ls="ls --color"
> >
> > to your .bashrc file.
>
> May I suggest:
>
>    alias ls="ls --color=auto"
>
> ...which toggles color on and off depending on whether stdout is a
> terminal or a pipe.
>
> > Personally I find it lurid and annoying :)
>
> That was my initial take some years ago.  Now I find Unices which lack a
> colorized ls depriving.  Color is a good cue.
Indeed. It's been a long time since I used ls -F by default.

BTW: The option Karsten suggests is probably in your .bashrc right now
but commented out. You might want to check .bash_profile also for other
commented out configuration ideas. Personally, I like

alias rm='/bin/rm -i'
alias mv='/bin/mv -i'
alias cp='/bin/cp -i'

Although there's a valid school of thought that this sets you up to make
bad mistakes when you expect them to be set and they're not.

The defaults for new accounts are kept in /etc/skel.

PM
--
Paul Mackinney
paul@mackinney.net