Re: color text in terminals...

on Mon, Apr 08, 2002, Crispin Wellington (crispin@aeonline.net) wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-04-08 at 14:15, Ross Tsolakidis wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > Simple question...
> >
> > In Redhat by default, in a terminal when you do a dir listing, the files are
> > color coded..  dirs, executables, text...  etc...
> > How can I do this on Debian ?
> >
> > Running Debian Sparc Woody.
>
> ls --color
>
> For permanence. Add
>
> alias ls="ls --color"
>
> to your .bashrc file.

May I suggest:

   alias ls="ls --color=auto"

...which toggles color on and off depending on whether stdout is a
terminal or a pipe.

> Personally I find it lurid and annoying :)

That was my initial take some years ago.  Now I find Unices which lack a
colorized ls depriving.  Color is a good cue.

Peace.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>           http://kmself.home.netcom.com/
   If spam is the question, Spamassassin is the answer.