Re: Installation Error

on Wed, Apr 10, 2002, Luis Garcia (lgarcia3@prodigy.net) wrote:
> Hi,
> I bought a set of Debian installation disk from LAN Comp Systems in
> Issaquah, Washington. I have tried to install the systems and I always
> get an error when I get to disk 3 out of 4. It says: E: sub-process
> /usr/bin/dpkg returned and error code (1)
> At this point, the process stops and reboots the machine.

Possibly a bad disk, possibly bad hardware on your system (a disk really
shouldn't crash it).  Try returning the suspect CD for media
replacement.

If you have networking (even a modem), you really don't _need_ the third
disk, you can install or update packages over the network.  I've
installed a dozen or more systems over a dialup line (helps if you can
tie up the phone line overnight).  Far less time for a high-speed
connection.

That said, by the time you get to the third/fourth disks, you're largely
dealing with noncritical stuff anyway.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>           http://kmself.home.netcom.com/
   We freed Dmitry!        Boycott Adobe!         Repeal the DMCA!