RE: The latest round of antivirus bouncebacks

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, Matt Frazer wrote:

> This surprises me in that other than the blanket definition of, Email I
> don't want to see, I do not understand how a mail server here replying to a
> message sender that it detected a virus in an attachment could be seen as
> Spam, or unsolicited commercial content.

I can.  I don't see the purpose of those messages beyond
self-aggrandizement on the part of the package creator.  "Look at me!
$COMPANY Brand email virus software found a virus, and I want to tell
the world!"  I don't report it as spam, though, since it's fairly
obvious it's just some clueless admin's server (mis)configured.

> I must say as a long time debian user and advocate, it breaks my heart to
> see this foolhardy "anything that is Microsoft should be banned" attitude
> proposed and accepted on a list whose purpose is to provide help to debian
> users. Seems to me you would be throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Be aware that the attitude you are responding to is clearly the opinion
of one particular user, and doesn't necissarily reflect the group as a
whole.

--
Baloo