List and Usenet management

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, Karsten M. Self wrote:

>     I'm subscribed to another list which is very high volume, and
>     focusses largely on entertainment industry issues.  Reader habits
>     are highly different:  bottom quoting, a wide mix of mailers, much
>     HTML mail, varying quote markers, little if any response
>     trimming....  I find the mess barely readable (and haven't looked at
>     it yet this week).   If d-u ever descends to this level, I'm out.

Two newsgroups I'm on that are high traffic have a problem with a lot of
bottom quoting and very little trimming if any (or another cute trick I
see a lot is "So and so wrote at blah blah blah: / <snip>"  Why thank
you for such helpful quoting.  alt.fan.furry has this problem more than
alt.lifestyle.furry.

Polite attempts to promote good posting habits is usually met with
hostility (again, on aff more than alf).  Any tips for promoting a clue
to a group that actively repels it?

> > People who subscribe from work often will have no say on this.
>

>   - The obvious answer:  don't subscribe from work.  Use a dialup.  SSH
>     out to another system.  Additionally, _most_ mailers allow
>     enabling/disabling of HTML.

Considering the privacy policy that most employers have, I'm not sure
why anybody would feel afe conducting personal business through a work
email account.

> My beef wasn't aimed at all Outlook/Exchange subscribers.  It's aimed at
> anyone who'se behind a system that handles list mail in an antisocial
> manner.  Outlook/Exchange seem to be common sources for such incidents,
> but are by no means the only culprits.  The point I want to make is that
> if you're going to participate in a list, you have to behave yourself in
> public.

Notes/Domino is also a pretty toxic combination.

--
Baloo