Re: User's perspective on upgrading to kernel 2.4?

On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 09:18:33PM -0500, Richard Cobbe wrote:
| Greetings, all.
|
| I'm happily running woody with kernel 2.2.20, and I'm thinking of
| upgrading to kernel 2.4.18.  Before I do this, though, I'd like to know
| more about this process -- it's been a long time since I upgraded across
| minor version numbers.
|
| First question: what are the major differences between 2.2 and 2.4 from
| a *user's* perspective?  I know about the improved scheduler and
| wake-one and USB support and things like that, but that's not what I'm
| asking.  For now, I'm interested primarily in what differences I will
| see as I use my system; I'll worry about the system-level programming
| interfaces later.

If you use the packages provided by Herbert Xu, you'll find that apm
and the cd driver are modules now.  Add them to /etc/modules to
restore their functionality.  The Deps will ensure your modutils is
new enough to handle it.  The other difference is using an 'initrd' in
the boot sequence.  I don't know how to configure lilo for it, but
grub is trivial.

| Second question: is it possible to have a 2.2 kernel and a 2.4 kernel
| installed on the same system and switch between the two by means of
| LILO?

Yes.

| It's a little unclear, but I get the impression that the /dev
| hierarchy, in particular, is very different between the two, which
| suggests that switching back and forth is not very easy.

Not at all.  I do use devfs myself, and I like it a lot.  If you
install 'devfsd' (highly recommend for anyone using devfs) it will
provide "compatibility links" by default.  That is, it will
automatically create symlinks using the old names and referencing the
new ones.  You can then migrate configurations at your leisure, or
continue to use the old name if you are (potentially) going to revert
to 2.2.

For your firewall, load the 'ipchains' modules (or whatever it is
called) to continue to use "ipchains".  You can't mix ipchains and
iptables, though.

-D

--

"...In the UNIX world, people tend to interpret `non-technical user' as
meaning someone who's only ever written one device driver."