Re: scanner demise

On Wed, 10 Apr 2002, Dimitri Maziuk wrote:

> * dave mallery (dmallery@cia-g.com) spake thusly:
> > hi
> >
> > i posted a long-winded situation report on the sudden demise of my scanner
> > last night.
> >
> > i think the real symptom is that the epson 1650 works under potato's
> > 2.2.19 and not under 2.2.20 in woody.  i had the same problem in r/h where
> > it was working fine and then ceased after a kernel upgrade.  in this case,
> > it was in the 2.4 series... currently 2.4.9-31.  since it was working in
> > both 2.2 and 2.4, what must have changed is scanner.o or one of the other
> > usb modules.
> >
> > at this point, i run up against a wall.  i could not find a maintainer for
> > scanner.o in the maintainers file in the kernel sources.
> >
> > any suggestions?
>
> Check kernel .config files carefully. Most likely, something was compiled
> in in the old kernel, and not in the new one -- you'll have to load a
> module with the new kernel.
>
> I'm assuming you're talking about pre-compiled kernels, right? Maybe
> you should try rolling your own, it's very easy with make-kpkg.

hi

i compared the two config files.  there is an additional usb entry in the
2.2.20 config:

  config_hotplug=y

everything else in usb is identical.

just for fun, i tried unplugging and re-plugging the usb cable.. no joy.

so does anyone have any suggestions?  this is the first real thing i have
found so far.

thanks again

dave
--
Dave Mallery, K5EN  (r/h 7.2 krud; debian woody)
PO Box 520

no gates                     .~.
  no windows...              /V\
                            /( )\
running GNU/Linux           ^^-^^  (Linux TM Linus Torvalds)
  free at last!