Re: VIA AC97 Audio Controller again.

petrov@mao.kiev.ua wrote:

> Hi All.
> I have VIA VT82C686A sound chipset & I have some problems.
> Sometimes my sound card stops to work & I hear only squeak.
> I could solve this problem only reboot my computer.
> Anyone knows how solve it. I use the OSS driver & kernek 2.2.20.
> Thanks in advance for you help.

I'm willing to bet that you have a Phoenix BIOS, there is a known bug between the
VIA southbridge and the Phoenix BIOS, the P-n-P part of the sound device is
unstable (can't keep track its assigned resources).  This is a matter of VIA
blaming Phoenix,  Phoenix blaming VIA and noone actually fixing it!

The only workaround I've found is to purchase a seperate sound card, and try to
disable the onboard sound device.

I don't think that is what you wanted to hear, but I hope it helps a little.

Derek Loree