Re: Ok, so what's this MS Exchange crap? (was Re: Not read: ????????:????)

on Wed, Apr 10, 2002, Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
> on Wed, Apr 10, 2002, Shawn McMahon (smcmahon@eiv.com) wrote:
> > begin  Karsten M. Self quotation:
> > ...and he forgets and sends it via ms-tnef format, he is NOT sending
> > you unsolicited commercial email, and reporting that he did so is not
> > only incorrect, but it might even constitute libel.  You're accusing
> > him of something that's unethical and in some places illegal, when in
> > reality he did something that's stupid, but not unethical or illegal.

<...>

> You're right -- the rule should filter to something more specific.  It
> needs an additional subject line qualifier.  I'll think about that.
> Suggestions welcomed.
>
> I'm trying to make my tools both effective and specific.  So improvement
> is always an option.

Current iteration.  Recall this applies only to list mail:

    # Microsoft tnef docs:  treat as spam
    # Mon Apr  8 10:11:26 PDT 2002
    :0h
    * -2^0
    * 1^0 ^X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook
    * 1^0 ^Content-Type: application/ms-tnef
    * 1^0 ^Subject: *(Read|Not Read|Nem olvasta):
    {
	:0c
	| ricochet

	:0:
	spamassassin-autoreport/
    }

Also, note for incipient ricochet users:  be generous with your skip-lists.
Include ***ALL*** mailing list hosts (do as I say, not as did...).

The tool generates rather more broadly than I'd prefer.  But it's among
the better alternatives.

Peace.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>           http://kmself.home.netcom.com/
   The Consumer Broadband and Digital Television Promotion Act: