Re: alternative web browser to netscape

On Wed, 10 Apr 2002 13:22:27 -0400
Shawn McMahon <smcmahon@eiv.com> wrote:

> Yes, it does, because it is an excellent example; a bunch of sheep used
> VHS, and we all got stuck with inferior technology as a result.

A bunch of people who wanted to watch films and found they could get more
VHS films than anything else. There is something inherently wrong with the
notion that the hardware is more important than the software. I was one of
those who bought into the Grundig/Philips V2000 format - and excellent it
was too - but I now own two VHS VCRs because it would be pointless trying
to keep going with Betamax or V2000 in a domestic situation.

I have a friend who has a really cheap car stereo. He drives around
singing to his music while I can't bear to listen because the quality is
so poor. Is he wrong?

I know that nothing you or I say will change our respective views. The
issues we are discussing are but momentary and in no time at all they will
be history. The way web content is created is surely unimportant - I just
want to view it. In the same way I am not concerned with the way the BBC
puts together my TV image or the way my TV set decodes it. As long as the
end result gives me the quality and interest I desire I will view the
programmes. If these 'terrible' web pages look bad or do not fulfil their
purpose then it is on those criteria they should be judged not on the
basis of whether the web designer used a MS product in their production.

--
Phillip Deackes
Using Debian Linux

/"\