Re: setmixer broken in unstable

Hi Josh,

I had the same problem, and I found a work around for it.

in the file /var/lib/dpkg/info/setmixer.postrm

is the command: update-rc.d setmixer remove

which, when executed from command line gives a strange error.

linuxhost:~# update-rc.d -n setmixer remove
update-rc.d: /etc/init.d/setmixer exists during rc.d purge (use -f to
force)

So I tried to force it (note, the -n makes it only pretend to do stuff), but got the same
error.

linuxhost:~# update-rc.d -n -f setmixer remove
update-rc.d: /etc/init.d/setmixer exists during rc.d purge (continuing)
 Removing any system startup links for /etc/init.d/setmixer ...
    /etc/rc0.d/K21setmixer
    /etc/rc1.d/K21setmixer
    /etc/rc2.d/S21setmixer
    /etc/rc3.d/K21setmixer
    /etc/rc5.d/S21setmixer
    /etc/rc6.d/K21setmixer

So I tried just moving the init.d script out of the way, and got no funny error.

linuxhost:~# mv /etc/init.d/setmixer /etc/init.d/setmixer.old
linuxhost:~# update-rc.d -n -f setmixer remove
 Removing any system startup links for /etc/init.d/setmixer ...
    /etc/rc0.d/K21setmixer
    /etc/rc1.d/K21setmixer
    /etc/rc2.d/S21setmixer
    /etc/rc3.d/K21setmixer
    /etc/rc5.d/S21setmixer
    /etc/rc6.d/K21setmixer

I then left it out of the way, ran dselect again, and it went through without any errors.  I
then moved it back:

linuxhost:~# mv /etc/init.d/setmixer.old /etc/init.d/setmixer

And it is still working (the start-stop script that is), and dselect has no complaints.

HTH

Derek Loree