Re: How to *not* restore screen after viewing man pages in X

Bill Moseley <moseley@hank.org> writes:

> When I view a man page or run vi or nano from xterm or Konsole and then
> exit, the screen is restored to the way it was before I started the
> program.
>
> This doesn't happen when not running X.  How do I disable this?  I like
> to be able to scroll down in a man page, exit, and leave that text
> viewable.

I like that too. This is more of a less issue and less of a man issue.

When man fetches a man page to display, it pumps the data to the
default pager - generally 'less'.

One method to fix this is to change your default pager, example:

export PAGER=cat

Another option is to tell less to disable sending the termcap
initialization and deinitializtion strings to the terminal. (see
less(1)).

export LESS="-X"

As for vi or nano, perhaps there is something similar described in
their man pages.

Elizabeth