Re: MPEG video recorder

On Tue, 9 Apr 2002 12:11:02 -0700
Tim Moss <debian@to11.net> wrote:

>  Apparently, on Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 01:54:06AM +0800, csj wrote:
>  >
>  > NVrec with FFmpeg produces mpeg which only a hacker can love. IIRC when
>  > I attempted to demultiplex an mpeg-encoded capture (necessary, so that I
>  > can re-multiplex it to a VCD-compliant mpeg), the audio and video
>  > differed in length by more than a few seconds. Needless to say, when I
>  > multiplexed them back, the audio and video were terribly out of sync.
>  > I like to think of FFmpeg more as a decoder, used by such popular video
>  > players as xine and mplayer, than as a general-purpose encoder.
>  > NVrec with the mp1e (another real-time encoder) module looks more
>  > promising. Problem is, I couldn't get it to produce any output.
>  >
>  > I settled on NVrec with DivX ;-) because it looks better at smaller
>  > sizes. Simple editing (more like splitting and splicing) can be done
>  > using avidemux <http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/>.
>  >
>  Did you use the patch to FFMPEG on the NVRec site. It's necessary for
>  the audio and video to stay in sync as far as I can tell. I can easily
>  record an hour long show that stays in sync whereas, without the patch,
>  recording would start getting out of sync after about 15 minutes.
>  Also, why can't you record directly to a VCD-compliant mpeg instead of
>  something else first and then converting it?

I was using Marillat's unofficial FFmpeg 0.4.6 (so it should have the
patch, no?). I don't notice any sync problems when I just watch the
FFmpeg encoded video. The problem is when I split or even just transcode
it to something else. It seems that NVrec does some magic to the video
to keep it in sync with the audio (or vice versa). I noticed the same
thing when recording to DivX. But then DivX is a final form format.

As for FFmpeg encoding to a VCD-compliant stream, I don't know. What
options do you pass to FFmpeg or NVrec?