Re: MPEG video recorder

Apparently, on Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 01:54:06AM +0800, csj wrote:

> NVrec with FFmpeg produces mpeg which only a hacker can love. IIRC when
> I attempted to demultiplex an mpeg-encoded capture (necessary, so that I
> can re-multiplex it to a VCD-compliant mpeg), the audio and video
> differed in length by more than a few seconds. Needless to say, when I
> multiplexed them back, the audio and video were terribly out of sync.
> I like to think of FFmpeg more as a decoder, used by such popular video
> players as xine and mplayer, than as a general-purpose encoder.
> NVrec with the mp1e (another real-time encoder) module looks more
> promising. Problem is, I couldn't get it to produce any output.
>
> I settled on NVrec with DivX ;-) because it looks better at smaller
> sizes. Simple editing (more like splitting and splicing) can be done
> using avidemux <http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/>.

Did you use the patch to FFMPEG on the NVRec site. It's necessary for
the audio and video to stay in sync as far as I can tell. I can easily
record an hour long show that stays in sync whereas, without the patch,
recording would start getting out of sync after about 15 minutes.
Also, why can't you record directly to a VCD-compliant mpeg instead of
something else first and then converting it?