Re: .config file for kernel?

On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 05:38:04PM -0700, Brian W. Carver wrote:

> Potato probably supports your network card/modem.

Yup, it does.

> If you get potato on the internet, (without configuring anything else that
> is troublesome) then it is a very simple thing to upgrade to woody with
> apt-get.  Then you could configure everything else on your system.  Debian
> is very flexible as regards upgrades.  Do you have some reason to believe
> that you have hardware only supported in woody?

The text-mode console support (or more likely the chipset) is buggy, so text
consoles are difficult to use.  I don't plan on running X, since I'm trying
to stay under 100M of disk space).  The only work-around that I'm aware of
is to use the VGA frame buffer console driver (which isn't enabled in
Potato's kernels AFAICT).

At first glance it appears that USB doesn't work either, but I haven't spent
much time messing with that.

I'm not sure about PCMCIA, since I haven't tested it yet.

Potato also doesn't support my multi-port serial board, but it isn't in
Woody either (no surprise, it's an engieering prototype).  I'd rather just
skip working on the 2.2 kernel support for that and go right to 2.4.

I figure I might as well upgrade now before I invest a lot of time tweaking
stuff which may or may not need re-tweaking when I upgrade to Woody and a
2.4 kernel.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com