Re: .config file for kernel?

begin  Brooks R. Robinson quotation:

> I've been blessed with Debian, essentially "grew up" on it), but I am told
> that it (RedHat) basically requires re-installation.  This is not so with

While I agree that he should use Debian, and that it's really easy to
install if you have a modicum of Linux knowledge (or even if you don't,
if you use tasksel and don't dick with dselect), RedHat upgrades are not
as bad as you've been told.  It does require rebooting with an install
disk, but packages are upgraded in-place just swell.

My current mail server is RedHat, and has gone through several upgrades
from 5.1 to 7.2, skipping several releases in between, but the upgrades
have gone pretty smoothly.  The only problem I've had is when I had
Ximian GNOME on a workstation on 7.0 and wanted to upgrade to 7.1, and
that was solved by something along the lines of

rpm -e `rpm -qa | grep helixcode`

...since it was Helixcode GNOME back then.  I've stayed away from Ximian
GNOME since then, and everything's peachy.

--
Shawn McMahon                    | Information may want to be free, but fiber
http://www.eiv.com               | optic cable wants to be one million US