Re: dhcp for servers

begin  Andy Wettstein quotation:
> server's mac address).  there are concerns, though, about introducing
> another dependency into the mix.  i was wondering if anyone here has
> any comments or experiences with dhcp and servers?

I don't recommend it for servers.  It's great for clients, especially if
you might need to renumber for some reason.

For servers, however, you introduce MULTIPLE new points of failure, not
just one.  If the DHCP server is unavailable, or there is a network
problem anywhere along the route, you have a potential problem that will
likely manifest as servers suddenly "dropping off the network" unless
you are monitoring things very closely.

Don't use DHCP for servers; it'll all come to tears, mark my words.

This message posted from my email server, which uses DHCP for it's
net-facing address...  :-)

--
Shawn McMahon                    | Information may want to be free, but fiber
http://www.eiv.com               | optic cable wants to be one million US