pppd dial-in problems

I'm trying to configure a 2.2r5 system for dial-in PPP access.
The dail-in part works fine, but when the dial-in user starts
pppd using "exec /usr/sbin/pppd -detach", the ppp daemon just
sits there forever: deaf and dumb until it's killed.

Starting pppd from a ssh session works fine: pppd sends out LCP
packets (logging them to /var/log/debug) and times out after a
while since it gets no LCP reply packets.

Starting pppd from a dial-in port does nothing.  pppd prints
nothing in the debug log, and the messages log looks like

Apr  9 09:44:18 debain pppd[246]: pppd 2.3.11 started by root, uid 0
Apr  9 09:44:49 debain pppd[246]: Terminating on signal 15.
Apr  9 09:44:49 debain pppd[246]: Exit.

[I have to kill pppd from another session]

I've tried dozens of combinations of options in
/etc/ppp/options (starting with the values from the PPP HOWTO).

I'm baffled...

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com