how to patch with make-kpkg

I've encountered a problem with make-kpkg, I'm working out a suite of kernel
images and patched kernel sources in .deb, but I've found the man page a bit
obscure on this fact, I've set the environment variable PATCH_THE_KERNEL to
AUTO, so it can bee invoked automatically by "--added-patches foo".
So here is my question, I've made a dir called
/usr/src/kernel-patches/{architecture}/ (I've an x86 machine so I created
../../i386 dir) that should be the default dir in witch make-kpkg searches
the patches to be applied and I do:
# make-kpkg debian --applied-patches patchname

why it doesn't patch anything?

keta