Re: Ok, so what's this MS Exchange crap? (was Re: Not read: ????????:????)

On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 10:16:07AM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
| on Mon, Apr 08, 2002, Eileen (eileen@orbell.com) wrote:
|
| <MS tnef attachment snipped>
|
| This appears to be an autoresponse generated by MS Exchange.  I've seen
| it on several lists in the past week.  Must be a new service pack.
|
| Trustworthy computing.  Not.
|

| My response has been to tell postmaster@cluelesssite.com to fix their
| autoresponder, and to suggest to listmaster@debian.org that the user be
| unsubscribed from all Debian mailing lists.  This post is fair notice to
| any subscribers sitting behind MS Exchange servers to ensure their sites
| are playing well with the 'Net.
|
| Anyone have any idea what's going on here?

Yeah, stupid Read Receipts, going to something other than the envelope
sender.  I think the original spammer "requested" a read receipt.  I
don't know how those work, but Netscape 4.x had options for that.  I
never saw it work when I tried it (a couple years ago).

I just added this to my filter :

if
    $h_X-Mailer: contains "Microsoft Outlook"
        and
    (
        $h_Content-Type: contains "application/ms-tnef;"
            or
        $h_Content-Type: contains "name=winmail.dat"
    )
then
    logwrite "    M$ Lookout read receipt  =p"
    seen finish
endif

I should find out how well it works soon.

-D

--

All a man's ways seem innocent to him,
but motives are weighed by the Lord.