Re: No Internet Connection (DHCP)

I finally got my entire home lan on the internet.

For me the crucial steps were getting the dhcp.conf file figured out, having the correct /etc/network/interfaces file, and then the rest was shockingly easy if I had just known to do it first. That is, to get the linux box "server" online I just had to apt-get install dhcpcd (note the extra 'c'). Then to get the rest of my lan online I just had to apt-get install ipmasq . Everything configured itself automatically it seemed. I spent days trying to learn all about dhcp and masquerading and really I was just two commands away from Internet Connection Sharing bliss all this time. (Getting the dhcp.conf file right is still really tough and confusing it seems to me. Future readers backtrack in this thread to see what finally worked for me.)

Now I'm trying to make my HP Laserjet 5L work both on the linux box to which it is connected, and also with the other computers on the network. It seems to me right now that understanding how to make the printer work is more confusing or at least less documented than networking! I am probably only two commands away from making that work too, but I just don't know what they are yet.

I've been to linuxprinting.org and have a feeling I should use CUPS. Right now I have lprng installed and when using gnome-apt (I prefer the gui interface) it says the cups package will be broken if I install it. My sources.list includes just the ftp address for stable (potato) files. I've typed gs -h and seen that the ljet4 driver that I need is available to me, but just don't understand the process to make the printer say, print from mozilla when I click the print button. I tried that for kicks last night and it printed like 50 blank pages, and not the web page I was on at all.

Printer help anyone?

Steve Juranich wrote:

I just did a fresh install of potato r5 on a new computer and had similar problems. My problem was that the driver for my NIC (a netgear FA310TX) seemed to be buggy. I built a new kernel (2.4.18) and was able to connect (and I moved right to sid).

Did you have any kernel upgrades recently? Or are you (wisely) not allowing apt to manage your kernel image?

Stephen W. Juranich                             sjuranic@ee.washington.edu
Electrical Engineering             http://students.washington.edu/sjuranic
University of Washington                http://ssli.ee.washington.edu/ssli

/"\ || \ / ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN || NO ATTACHMENTS
 X   AGAINST HTML MAIL       ||  NO STATIONERY
/ \  AND POSTINGS            ||  NO GRAPHICS

--
Windows 98: n.useless extension to a minor patch release for 32-bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16-bit patch to an 8-bit operating system originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor, written by a 2-bit company that can't stand for 1 bit of competition.