Re: exim not sending mail

On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 11:30:52PM -0500, dman wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 06:29:40PM -0700, Joe Heuring wrote:
>
> | Exim version 3.34 #1 built 19-Jan-2002 17:51:35
>
> | Hello all.  I've asked for help on this to another group and hope I'm
> | not cross posting to early but it's Sunday and I would really like my
> | mutt back as I have to type a bunch of emails tonight.  (this message
> | brought to   you by mozilla - there's not a way to incorporate VI into
> | Mozilla is there?)
>
> Not that I know of.

 Well who'd use it any way if you have Mutt?  I like Mozilla (the worst
 gui browser there is except for all the others?) It's been running better
 than Netscape ever did for me.

> | Basically what's going on is exim is not sending mail and is not giving
> | me any error messages except for in the logs.
>
> That's where error messages go :-).  Daemons don't have a "stdout".

Oh.  I'd like to change that for me.  If Exim has any problems what so
ever I would like it to send me an email. People were emailing me, I was
replying thinking they got em.  Only after days go by, "gee no space
left on my /var partition" ...  I haven't yet read the documentation or
any howtos for this.  Any pointers, good links for customizing Exim to
send me emails for various stuff?

> | Now no mail gets sent.  Mutt tells me "message sent"  no errors nothing
> | in my default mbox
>
> Mutt did send the message.  It sends to a pipe to "sendmail" (a
> symlink to the exim binary).  exim accepted the mail.  mutt's job is
> now done, it has successfully sent it ... to the next link in the
> chain.
>
> | mail was not sent
>
> The next link (exim) failed to pass the message on to the link after
> it.  This is what we will correct.
>
> | checking /var/log/exim/mainlog  I see at a rate of about 60/second is
> | inputed a ton of:
> |
> | 2002-04-07 17:40:12 16kWfM-0004qW-00 Message is frozen
>
> You've got 60 frozen messages I guess :-).

 No 60 in one second.  Pages and pages of "frozen messages" logs

> | checking /var/spool/exim/msglog is a bunch of files that read like:
>
> Hmm, that's a different log than I have.  Do you mean "mainlog"?

 Nope  'ls -l /var/spool/exim/'

 drwxr-x---    2 mail  mail  4096 Apr  7 10:47    db
 drwxr-x---    2 mail  mail  737280 Apr  8 06:34  input
 drwxr-x---    2 mail  mail  20480 Apr  8 06:34   msglog

> | 2002-04-07 10:34:04 directing failed for joeheuring@cox.net
> | <joe@cox.net>: unknown local-part "joeheuring" in domain "cox.net"
> | *** Frozen (delivery error message)
> |
> | I'm not sure what exim is trying to do here.
>
> I see exactly what the problem is.  You have sent a message that
> should be delivered to "joeheuring@cox.net".  HOWEVER, you told exim
> that your own machine is "cox.net".  You don't want to do that.  Do
> you have your own domain name?  If not, then make something up
> (something like `hostname`) to tell exim who it is.  At any rate, you
> are not "cox.net", and you'll have lots of trouble trying to send a
> message to anyone at cox.net right now.
>
> | Mozilla writes my header as Joe Heuring <joeheuring@cox.net> and it works.
>
> Mozilla doesn't send outgoing mail through exim, AFAIK.  It does the
> SMTP negotion directly (which is not a good idea for various reasons).

Oh right. The Mutt and Mozilla reference was only to isolate that the
solution was with in Exim.

> In your /etc/exim/exim.conf file you'll see a line like
>     local_domains = cox.net : localhost
> remove the "cox.net" from it (and the ':', it's the list element
> separator).  Alternatively you can simply rerun 'eximconfig' and
> _don't_ tell it that the local domain is "cox.net".  If you want some
> instruction on what the questions eximconfig asks mean, try this
> message :

errr yeah I remember on the fresh Debian 2.2 Woody install that I did
not have the Eximconfig set up exactly correct.  It was the only
combination that I could get to work though. I made your changes and of
course it works. Somehow I was under the impression that it was *very
wise* to let only Eximconfig edit that file.

>     http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-user%40lists.debian.org/msg82754.html

I'll check that out. I realize now that I have to do a learning drive on
mail mail and mail.  Suddenly I need to have a virtual email server, list
servers, and automatic emails going to people. What ever starts the
automatic emails would pull the addrs and other info from a database. I
think that's how to set it up, but I don't know.

> HTH,
> -D
That helped alot.