Re: exim not sending mail

On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 06:29:40PM -0700, Joe Heuring wrote:

| Exim version 3.34 #1 built 19-Jan-2002 17:51:35

| Hello all.  I've asked for help on this to another group and hope I'm
| not cross posting to early but it's Sunday and I would really like my
| mutt back as I have to type a bunch of emails tonight.  (this message
| brought to   you by mozilla - there's not a way to incorporate VI into
| Mozilla is there?)

Not that I know of.

| Basically what's going on is exim is not sending mail and is not giving
| me any error messages except for in the logs.

That's where error messages go :-).  Daemons don't have a "stdout".

| Now no mail gets sent.  Mutt tells me "message sent"  no errors nothing
| in my default mbox

Mutt did send the message.  It sends to a pipe to "sendmail" (a
symlink to the exim binary).  exim accepted the mail.  mutt's job is
now done, it has successfully sent it ... to the next link in the
chain.

| mail was not sent

The next link (exim) failed to pass the message on to the link after
it.  This is what we will correct.

| checking /var/log/exim/mainlog  I see at a rate of about 60/second is
| inputed a ton of:
|
| 2002-04-07 17:40:12 16kWfM-0004qW-00 Message is frozen

You've got 60 frozen messages I guess :-).

| checking /var/spool/exim/msglog is a bunch of files that read like:

Hmm, that's a different log than I have.  Do you mean "mainlog"?

| 2002-04-07 10:34:04 directing failed for joeheuring@cox.net
| <joe@cox.net>: unknown local-part "joeheuring" in domain "cox.net"
| *** Frozen (delivery error message)
|
| I'm not sure what exim is trying to do here.

I see exactly what the problem is.  You have sent a message that
should be delivered to "joeheuring@cox.net".  HOWEVER, you told exim
that your own machine is "cox.net".  You don't want to do that.  Do
you have your own domain name?  If not, then make something up
(something like `hostname`) to tell exim who it is.  At any rate, you
are not "cox.net", and you'll have lots of trouble trying to send a
message to anyone at cox.net right now.

| Mozilla writes my header as Joe Heuring <joeheuring@cox.net> and it works.

Mozilla doesn't send outgoing mail through exim, AFAIK.  It does the
SMTP negotion directly (which is not a good idea for various reasons).

In your /etc/exim/exim.conf file you'll see a line like
    local_domains = cox.net : localhost
remove the "cox.net" from it (and the ':', it's the list element
separator).  Alternatively you can simply rerun 'eximconfig' and
_don't_ tell it that the local domain is "cox.net".  If you want some
instruction on what the questions eximconfig asks mean, try this
message :
    http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-user%40lists.debian.org/msg82754.html

HTH,
-D

--

(E)ventually (M)allocs (A)ll (C)omputer (S)torage