Problems with email

I've setup a small home network to prevent my children from having a
look at sordid sites. So I connected a server to a couple of PCs wia
ethernet card and the server to my ISP via modem. The server and
another box run woody while one PC (my children's) has Win 98 on it.

On the server I've installed squid as a proxy & squidguard, diald &
samba and a tiny firewall using iptables.

It all ticks greatly with the exception of email.

While I can browse through the proxy everything but indecent sites,
when I try from a client to get my mail with mutt, diald starts (and
connects to the ISP) but nothing else happens, it all hangs there
waiting for I dunno what.

In squid.conf  I allowed as an acl the  safe_port port 110 and 25.

In resolv.conf on the client I have put both nameservers.

Of course, everywhere I've defined the gateway machine both on linux
and win 98 boxes.

Perhaps I miss something. Please help.

Ciao

Vittorio