Re: Can't start X based programs on a remote host

on Sun, Apr 07, 2002, Ralf Doppelstein (Ralf.Doppelstein@epost.de) wrote:
> Hi *,
>
> I have 2 woody based hosts with gnome/gdm, last update at last night.
> I try to open i.e. xclock on the remote host and show on the local
> host.

X disables remote tcp connections by default in Debian.  You can't do
that, and you don't want to.

> I always get the message
> Can't open display: <local-host>:0.

This is a feature.

> I do the following steps:
> A)
>   localhost: xhost +

*Don't* do that.

>              ssh remotehost

The command you meant to use was:

   $ ssh -X remotehost

...make sure your ssh config allows X11 forwarding (this is also
disabled by default).

Peace.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>           http://kmself.home.netcom.com/