Re: Is Mozilla mail brian dead?

On Sat, 2002-04-06 at 23:40, Kent West wrote:
> Patrick Kirk wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> ><rant> I

[snip]
 </rant>

Sorry about that.  I was looking for a lightweight alternative to
Evolution that would play nice with mutt.  spent about 30 minutes
searching Moz menus and Google looking for a box to put my password in
and then got very annoyed.

Seriously, a trip to www.joelonprogramming.com should be compulsory for
whoever came up with this idea of not asking for the password as part of
creating the account...every single new user gets an error message as
their first experience.  How daft is that?

> I use Mozilla Mail almost exclusively. It occasionally crashes
> (especially when trying to do anything with the Address Book, which has
> some serious issues), but other than that I like it rather well.
>
> I believe you'll find password management to be under Tasks/Privacy and
> Security/Password Manager.

No.  Thats for slashdot and the like.

> I don't believe that's what your problem is however. It sounds like
> perhaps you have a network problem or a typo in the mail server's
> address, etc.

Using IMAP on the localhost running it from an Xsession across the
network.  Works a treat with Evolution, if a little slow because the
server is a P200MMX from 1997.  But it does work.

Actually now that I think of it, Evolution also presents an error
message the first time you use it.  You have to exit, re-enter and then
it asks for the password.

Maybe its a Linux thing.  "If they are willing to compile a kernel, they
must be masochists.  Lets make them work for their mail" - could be the
philosophy.

> Are you using IMAP or POP?
>
> You might delete the account and then recreate it. If there's a typo
> somewhere that you just "can't see", that should take care of it.

I only did that twice before sending my rant.  But its a good first
step.  Thanks for replying...

> Kent
>

> --

Patrick