Re: Debian shoot 'em up games review

[Please Cc: to me because I am not subscribed to the list.]

On Mon, 25 Mar 2002 04:36:58 +0900 (JST),
Oohara Yuuma <oohara@libra.interq.or.jp> wrote:
> * Asteroids clones
Debian has more Asteroids clones than you think.

** maelstrom - An arcade-style game resembling Asteroids.
This is a non-free one with many features like
a _hard_ steel asteroid, a black-hole and a supernova.
Shoot comets and xN items to get a big stage-clear bonus.

** kasteroids - Asteroids for KDE
This is a part of kdegames.  It has a very beautiful
(perhaps the best) graphic.  The rocks are small and your
shots are even smaller, so this is rather difficult.
Other features include power-up items and a limited fuel.
It seems to have no UFOs.

> * kill all of them

> ** criticalmass - Shoot-em-up a la galaxian
> (See #136642)
This seems a typo in the source code.  I sent a patch
to the maintainer.  Patched criticalmass is one of the
most addictive game in Debian.

> ** zblast-x11 - X11 version of zblast, shoot 'em up space game
The latest .deb has an auto-fire option.

** xinvaders - Space Invaders game for X
This is the closest Space Invaders clone in Debian.
Of course, you can shoot only one shot at a time.

** xinv3d - 3D space invaders for X
3D means you see invaders from the back of your ship.
You need to get used to this viewpoiot, or you will be
shot sooner or later.

** xgalaga - X11 version of the famous Galaga game
This is a Galaga clone with power-up items and
_without_ the "rescue your captured ship" feature.
Its graphic and sound is not good.

Crashing into a enemy ship itself does not destroy
your ship (or the enemy ship).  Only enemy shots
are harmful.

If you like a cheat, use the -level 3000 (start with
level 3000) option.  On such a high level, enemy
shots are so fast that they are out of the window
one frame later.  This means that there will be no
enemy shots in the window.

** wing - a galaga knock-off, arcade game
Unlike its name (Wing Is Not Galaga), it does not
resemble Galaga (I say "unlike" --- we know what
GNU means).  This is just a simple kill-everything.

The enemy move is very tricky.  The first thing
you have to do is to avoid it.  Crashing into it
will destroy your ship immediately (enemy shot
are less harmful).

If you are desperate, don't forget to pusy the
(undocumented) key 4.  It will give you a very
powerful weapon (torpedo).

** defendguin - defender clone with penguins
The goal of the game is to kill all evil aliens (including
the Evil Bill) and to defend your penguins (yes, you can
shoot the penguins if you like).  Remember, you have to
defend yourself first.  Saving the penguins is not
an easy task.

If you feel the aliens are too dangerous, shoot the _penguins_.
When there is no penguin, all the enemies will polymorph
into mutated penguinoids (I don't know why).  They are
still dangerous, but not much deadly.

** kspaceduel - Arcade two-player space game for KDE
This is a one-on-one combat.  Your opponent has exactly the
same ship as you have.  To destroy your opponent, you can
shoot it, put mines or even crash into it (you can survive
if you have enough energy).  Note that shots and mines can
hurt both players.

The point of the game is that you fight near the sun.
Since its gravity is greater than the power of your engine,
you need to fly _around_ the sun --- you can't escape from it
once you are caught.

> * scrolling window
** allegro-demo - cool game, demonstrating power of the Allegro library
liballegro may be the only library which comes with
a shoot 'em up game.  Since it is a example of the
library, it is very simple.  You need to go as far as
possible while dodging (or shooting) asteroids.
Dodging seems more effective --- shooting asteroids
does not give much scores, and there is the one-shot-
at-a-time limit.

> ** xsoldier - shoot-em up
Since the original upstream is no longer active,
I took over its development.  You can download my 0.98
here (sorry, source code only):
http://www.interq.or.jp/libra/oohara/xsoldier/
It has 3 known bugs (wrong example in INSTALL,
broken -wait and -display option and bad high
score handling).  All of them will be fixed
in 0.99 (indeed, I have already fixed them,
not uploaded the fix yet, though).

--
Oohara Yuuma <oohara@libra.interq.or.jp>
Debian developer