Re: Am I running an open relay?

On Sat, Apr 06, 2002 at 02:58:00PM +0100, Patrick Kirk wrote:

| My inbox has about 12 of these...does it mean I've been hacked or that
| the relay attempt failed?  I though I had Exim locked down nicely but
| someone has used port 25 if I read "enterprise.kirks.net with smtp (Exim
| 3.35 #1 (P Kirk))" correctly.

This is a good message to get -- it shows that someone is trying to
have your "open relay" register itself at dsbl.org, but your system
doesn't relay with the "percent hack" trick.  If you were an open
relay (by that method, at least), then it would have sent the message
on and you wouldn't have seen an error message.

| ------ This is a copy of the message, including all the headers. ------

| Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 4:28:14 +0000
| To: <listme@dsbl.org>
| Subject: Open Relay Test Message
| From: nobody@[217.35.40.123]
|
| DSBL LISTME: smtp
| 6839cgD6QvH1tqiQODyEuQGHn9TFZAdi
| MAIL FROM:<nobody@[217.35.40.123]>
| RCPT TO:<listme%dsbl.org@[217.35.40.123]>
| DSBL END

Where did this come from!?  Last I saw there was no way to get a
cookie (that second line with "junk" characters") and there is no
contact information at dsbl.org.  I made a script to make formmail
sites list themselves, but I need a way to get a cookie for it to
work.  Right now I can't even find any DNS information for dsbl.org,
so I can't check their web site.

-D

--

Commit to the Lord whatever you do,