Re: Should I use a proxy? DNS cache?

On Sat, 6 Apr 2002, Michael D. Crawford wrote:

> Presently I am using neither a proxy nor a DNS cache.  Would it help things to
> use them?  I can see how having a DNS cache would help when my ISP's nameserver

Yes, you'll notice things are a bit quicker, especially if your proxy
has a massive cache that isn't expiring off the graphics from every
page.

> If I should use a proxy, which one should I get?

bind9 for dns, squid for webcache, leafnode for news should be suitable
for most users.  If the machine the modem's on is a dedicated box, feel
free to really crank up the cache on squid and feel the speed gain on
pages you frequent.

--
Baloo