Should I use a proxy? DNS cache?

I have a small home lan that is routed to the internet through a machine that provides IP masquerading with kernel 2.4.18 iptables. The gateway machine connects to the net with a 56k modem. There are three client machines, plus the gateway for a total of four machines.

Presently I am using neither a proxy nor a DNS cache. Would it help things to use them? I can see how having a DNS cache would help when my ISP's nameserver goes down, which it seems to quite a bit.

If I should use a proxy, which one should I get?

Mike
--
Michael D. Crawford
http://www.goingware.com/