Re: debian on old notebook

On 05-Apr-2002 Mirek Dobsicek wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have few question. Most of time I'm at college and twice a months
> I go home for a weekend. I dont have computer at home, and sometimes
> I need to continue at my work (coding and writing articles in VIM).
>
> I'd like to buy some old notebook and install Debian on in.
> Right now I can buy i486 at 66Mhz, 8MB RAM, 500MB HDD
> for $10 US dolars.
>
> Is it good idea to try install Debian on it? Is it possible with 8MB of RAM?
>
> I need it just for VIM writting, man pages displaying, and Lynx offline
> browsing.
>
> What could be the way to install Debian? I'm thinking that easist way
> is to connect notebook with my computer with parallel cable and
> install from internet.
>

> Or should I forget it and save $10?

You will find the machine extremely slow, compiling anything will take forever.
 Kernel compiles in about a day on one of those.  Sure you won't be doing it,
but I just wanted to show you the whole situation.  If you can spend enough to
get a low end pentium you would be a lot happier.

As for the install, you will likely have to do the floppy shuffle to get
sufficiently far into the install to then use some form of network.